For those who want to get some information about the NBCOT Study Pack, you have to read this entire article. Here we are going to discuss the NBCOT Study Pack. Also, we are going to share some information about the NBCOT exam.
NBCOT Study Pack Review
The NBCOT Exam Study Pack gives a comprehensive package of new and existing study tools. Practice Sims and a full practice exam are exclusive to the NBCOT Study Pack.
- Practice Sims offer an interactive method to test clinical reasoning.
- Pre-Test and 2 practice tests.
- Mini Test questions which give the answer and rationale; 200 for OTR and 150 for COTA.
- Full Practice Exam which gives the same format and # of questions you are going to receive on your exam day.
- Online Study Guide with practice questions which include the answer and rationale; 200 questions for OTR and 175 questions for COTA. Need to note: You do not have the ability to print the online version.
- Flashcards; 1000+ for OTR and 800+ for COTA.
- Knowledge Match Game; 32 games for OTR and 24 games for COTA.
For note: It is highly recommended that you should use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox to access the NBCOT Study Pack. Several components in the NBCOT Study Pack like the images which are in the practice tests, currently are not compatible with the screen readers. Developers of the NBCOT Study Pack are working to solve this case. Also, access to the NBCOT Study Pack remains until successful try on the certification exam. The NBCOT Study Pack is one of the NBCOT study tools. It is specially designed to assist the candidates with their own exam preparation.
What is the NBCOT OTR/COTA Exam?
For those who want to work as a board-certified occupational therapist, first you have to pass the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) OTR examination. The NBCOT exam is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy, Inc. The test-takers will be able to find exam centers throughout the United States. To pass the NBCOT OTR exam, the test-takers must have scored at least a 450 out of a possible 600. 10,697 occupational therapists took the OTR test in the year of 2019 and received a 73% pass rate, while 7,177 occupational therapy assistants took the COTA exam during the same year and accepted a 61% pass rate.
Eligibility of the NBCOT OTR/COTA Exam
It is very important to ensure that you are eligible to sit for the NBCOT OTR before registering for the NBCOT exam. Because the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy also holds the COTA exam for occupational therapy assistants, it is crucial to understand the eligibility differences.
- The candidates of OTR (Occupational Therapist Registered) must graduate from an ACOTE accredited occupational therapy program.
- The candidates of COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant) have to graduate from an ACOTE accredited occupational therapy assistant program.
Length and Format of the NBCOT OTR Exam
You have to know that the NBCOT OTR exam consists of 170 multiple choice questions that need to be answered over four hours. Single-response questions ask you to pick the best answer, while the multi-response needs them to pick the three best answers out of a possible six. A further section gives a responsive yes or no format.
After arriving at the testing center, you are able to decide to watch a tutorial before starting that does not cut into your four hours of testing time. While you are allowed to take a break, the clock will not stop, and you have to complete the same check-in procedures when you arrive to re-enter the classroom.
How is the NBCOT OTR Scored?
The NBCOT OTR utilizes a criterion-referenced scoring system, basically meaning the test is pass/fail. The performance is ranked between 300 up to 600, with 450 being the minimum score needed to pass. The exam NBCOT OTR consists of 170 multiple choice questions, and a three-problem clinical simulation test section. Scoring is unique as points are not deducted if you select an incorrect answer. It means that if you are not sure about a question, you have to try to answer it rather than leaving it blank. The NBCOT OTR exam does not give test scores immediately after the exam NBCOT OTR ends, instead sending an official feedback report with information about final scores through email or in the mail.
About OTR and COTA Credentials
The occupational therapy professionals who are certified with NBCOT are going to have one of the below credentials:
- OTR (Occupational Therapist Registered)
- COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant)
Apparently, the professionals of OTR and COTA have completed occupational therapy education and also passed a national certification exam. They have to agree to follow NBCOT’s Practice Standards and Code of Conduct, and also to fulfill continual professional development requirements. Only those who maintain an active in Good Standing status with NBCOT will be able to use the OTR or COTA credential. Need to note that OTR (Occupational Therapist Registered) and COTA (Certified Occupational Therapy Assistant) professionals are committed to giving effective and safe services to all clients.
Frequently Asked Questions – NBCOT Study Pack
Here are some frequently asked questions related to the NBCOT Study Pack:
- Are the practice tests which are available for sale individually the same as the ones inside the Study Pack?
No. Not all practice tests which are available for individual purchase are contained in the Study Pack. You are able to go to the Practice Test section for more information.
- Is the study guide in the NBCOT Study Pack electronic or hard copy?
The study guide available in the NBCOT Study Pack is an electronic version. If you want a hard copy guide, you will need to buy it individually.
- When does access to the NBCOT Study Pack expire?
You are going to continue to have access to the NBCOT Study Pack until you pass the exam.